An account of the world around me; my family, friends, and the adventures we have together(hopefully)!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

LOTOJA I DID IT!


So I joined the world of Spandex, Sports drinks and Speed! For the past several years my family has participated in a bike race that takes place every September called the LOTOJA, its a ride from Logan Utah to Jackson Hole Wyoming 206 miles. After being the support crew for five years I finally decided (with some encouragement from my cousin, thanks Jenn)to do it myself. My first goal however was to trim down a little so that the mandatory spandex shorts didn't look to hideous. After avoiding them as long as possible I finally gave in and found that the extra padding in the butt was far more important then how the extra padding in my thighs and stomach looked. My next goal was to train all summer long so that I would able to complete my leg of the relay in a reasonable amount of time and not let my team down. I rode from Aspen to Alpine in 1 hr and 50 min and I averaged 18.1 MPH. It was a personal best for me, most of my training rides I only averaged about 16 to 17 MPH so I was pretty excited. We had Three relay teams this year two non competitive and one competitive (guess which one Kevin was on). Kevin's team took fifth place and our other two teams finished in about 12 hours, so we all did pretty good. We spent a few days at a condo in Teton Village as we always do, going on a few hikes, a bike ride and of course eating some great food (training is over)! I love being able to share this tradition with family and friends and I look forward to the experience for many year to come.

What a Cute Couple

Most of our Group (a few had to go home early)

The Fifth Place Team

Ben(brother), Kevin, Clay(friend), Cody(friend), Wes(cousin)

10 comments:

Beckey said...

Great job Melisa! I don't know if I could've done that!

Hayley said...

Wow Melisa! Very impressive. 206 miles sounds seems impossible to me. That's so awesome! Let's get together soon, you, Kevin, Ryan, me, and if possible - the Barnett's, too.

Jill said...

Amazing is all I can say!!! Way to go!!!!

Amber said...

That is SO AWESOME! Good job! What a fun and healthy family tradition to have. :)

steve and lisa said...

WOW!!!
You look so smoking hot in that pink jersey!!!! What an amazing race to complete!! I am so impressed! The woman (Kathy, Melinda, etc.) in the old ward that are running, biking, etc. etc. You all are amazing!!! Sounds like a super fun trip & and a wonderful goal to accomplish! Great job!!! Lisa

roseanne said...

Wow! I am so impressed! I've always wanted to do something like that!! You are my inspiration!

Amateur Steph said...

That is so cool! Congratulations! I have always thought that race sounded like so much fun. Good job and you look terrific!

Kathy said...

Way to go Kevin and Melisa!! You guys make a great husband/wife duo. And, how fun that you do it every year with your family. Congrats!

Allie said...

Congrats Melisa! Im proud of you! I think you look hot in your hot pink spandex!

Taylor Family said...

Way to go Melissa. What an accomplishment and I think you look great in your spandex.